Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Head Hurts After This One

I finished reading “A Connecticut Yankee” today, but for the sake of the rest of the class, I will not write about the very end….yet. Instead, there is a quote that I found interesting that pertains to the discussion of disguise. When Hank is hiding from the slaves who are trying to get him killed, he is searching for a way out of his problem. He finds his solution when

At the first second-hand clothing shop I came to, up a backstreet, I got a rough rig suitable for a common seaman who might be going on cold voyage, and bound up my face with a liberal bandage, saying I had a toothache. This concealed the worst of my bruises. It was a transformation. I no longer resembled my former self (Twain 342).

Normally, I would not find this particularly strange, as many characters throughout time have found disguise as a way out of trouble. However, I thought about it a little more, and found something weird about all of this: When in his most dire times, why would Hank, a man who has shown a knack for finding center-stage and boosting himself up to a level above others, shrink down and make himself appear as a mere normal citizen? I’m thinking through this, so bear with me here as I try to make sense of all this.

As we discussed in class, disguises generally serve as a way for a character to have social mobility; in other words, a poor man can look noble, and a rich man can look like a “nobody”. This is evidenced throughout many of our most famous plays. The one that comes to mind is The Taming of the Shrew (which I coincidentally just reread for a Shakespeare class), where Lucentio, who is of rich descent, trades places with his servant, Tranio, in order to enable a love plot to happen. These characters require social mobility, so Lucentio can snag the girl of his dreams. Lucentio, as far as readers know, does not have any tendencies that would make us believe that he has a problem with making himself look like a lower class person. This line of thinking is where I start to have problems when thinking about Hank.

Though Lucentio moves down the social ladder, it is not surprising, as nothing is said to the contrary that he would have a problem with this. Hank, however, strikes me as the type who would not resort to such a thing during a life or death situation. Yes, he does wander disguised much of the novel. However, at other points in the book when he wants to make a statement or save himself, he reverts to his “diva” form and uses his position in the hierarchy to weasel his way out of certain spots (Merlin's Tower, with Arthur's sister, among others). It seems very out of character for Hank to rescue himself by doing something that does not put the spotlight on him. I thought that he would have told everyone that he was the Boss, or would have bought clothes to make him look like nobility, as he always seems to strive to look as powerful as possible. Perhaps I am thinking too hard about this, but this use of disguise within the novel really perplexed me.

While Taming of the Shrew and this novel are obviously very different, there is a similar theme within them: the characters use disguise (coincidentally, to achieve downward mobility) in order to attain the means they find necessary to their survival. Nevertheless, this seems very unlike Hank, as he seems like the type who would rise up and show everyone how noble he truly is, as he does this in all other situations that could potentially prove fatal to him. I understand the idea of disguise, and it makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately, I cannot understand the use of Hank’s disguise here, as he is not the type to move down the structure when faced with a situation that could prove too much for him to handle. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Maybe I’m nuts, but this use of disguise does not seem to make sense with the consistent character that Mark Twain has created throughout the book.

4 comments:

  1. After reading your entry, I too became perplexed as to why Hank would decide not to make “a scene” in this situation. Yet, after thinking about it, I believe that moving through social classes is something that Hank would do. He looks down upon England’s class system and all through the book he is constantly trying to close the gap between the common people of Camelot and the nobility. You have to remember that in Hank’s time period social status coming from a family name was no longer important, he was living in a capitalistic society driven by a working class. Although I believe that Hank would have no problem in disguising as a normal person, I can see why you are confused. Hank does seem to have a great sense of the ego and often through the novel he was overly dramatic in his ways of achieving things. The fact that Hank does not take this moment to get attention and praise is not his style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this passage may not fit with the bombastic mannerisms HM has affected through the majority of the novel, it seems like he's backed into quite a bit of a corner in this situation. With my own speculation (admittedly far less inventive than that of our dear protagonist) I fail to drum up any way for Hank to escape that predicament without flying under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, but I also disagree with you that Hanks actions in that scene are out of character. While most of the time Hank boasts about his title and his “powers” , sometimes I think when he is faced with intimidation and possibly fear, he retreats to his roots as the simple employee in the factory and he forgets that he can announce that he is The Boss and get out of the situation. Examples of this are when Sandy had to save him from imprisonment , and then she reminded Morgan Le Fay that he was the Boss and that his word trumped hers and Sandy did this by standing up for him and announcing his title, making it clear to all that he is basically the voice of the king. Therefore, I don't think that Hank does this for the drama, I think that he is afraid and intimidated by his captures and those emotions take over. (Plus if he told them straight out that he is The Boss and the guy with him is the King they would kill them for sure because they were crazy).

    ReplyDelete